Nov 23, 2014

Updates and Stuff

I'm still struggling with my RA. The doctor added an anti-inflammatory back to my list of meds and that's helped a lot. I haven't had to take the prednisone as much. It's something that I've for the most part learned how to live with but I don't like it and there are days when I flat out hate it and I'm ashamed to admit it but I've had my fair share of pity parties. You live, you learn and you deal. It's all about coping. When I can't knit I curl up in my chair with my iPad and throw myself into a good book. I'm just thankful that I have libraries with eBook lending and Amazon Unlimited has really came in handy for me. I read more then 2-3 books a month. Actually I go through 2-3 in a week and on really bad RA days I can read 2-3 books in a day.

Things have been crazy here. Shawn finally figured out some of his issues with heartburn and indigestion all tie in with gluten so we've been trying to cut gluten out of his diet completely. Let me just say that its damn difficult. There is gluten in crap you'd never thing about it being in.....sheesh. Thanksgiving dinner is going to be a bit of a bitch but I'll get it all figured out.

Shawn was let go from his job earlier this month. After almost 2 years the HR Director called him into the office and said "it's just not working out". The flippin joys of working in "at will" state....ugh! Of course Shawn being Shawn he dusted his ass off and found a job within a matter of hours. Its a temp job that will end before June but he has a couple of final interviews lined up for a permanent job. We'll be OK. What the "nice" lady who let him go doesn't understand is we're use to being kicked in the nuts....we're a flipping military family. Most military have to deal with the proverbial kick to the nuts at least once in their career. We had more then one so we're well versed in the what can go wrong will go wrong. Few things we've learned, Stressing and worrying doesn't change things just makes you miserable, never spend more then what you make, have a healthy savings account and at least one free credit card for emergencies, and laugh. Laughing is one of the most important things. You always always need to find the humor in things. We're laughing because I guess the person who let him go has been getting a lot of flak for firing him and the ones left behind are scrabbling to pick up and figure out the crap that he has been handling for almost 2 years. Wished I was a fly on the wall to watch them struggle....gottta be a funny sight.

Now on to knitting.

I did knit Bree her Ducky she's been pestering me about.


The yarn is Knit Picks Swish DK and the pattern is Baby Duckling. She's been sleeping with it every night. It's become her favorite thing to carry around. She thinks the duck needs some grapes so I may humor her. It's all because of a group of videos on YouTube. I'm not sure why the kids think it's hilarious but I laughed so hard when I watched her and my nephew watch the videos. They made the funniest faces and laughed so much. They are her favorite YouTube videos, thus the request for a ducky of her own.

I just couldn't resist casting on a skirt for Bree.

Ruffled Skirt

I fell in love with this skirt pattern the moment I saw it. The pattern is Balletto and the yarn that I'm using is Knit Picks Stroll Tonal sock yarn. I am however regretting picking the pattern because of what has turned into never ending ruffles from hell. I'm never going to finish the ruffles. I'm surprised I'm not having nightmares about ruffles.


Finished my Porch Swing Cardi.

Porch Swing Cardi

I can't begin to say how much I love love love this cardi. It's so comfy and warm. I've already worn it several times this winter. The yarn is Dream in Color Classy and the color is Chinatown Apple. There were 3 distinct shades of this yarn so I ended up swapping out the yarn with each row I knit. A bit of a pain in the butt but I think its turning out rather nicely. This cardi has very minimal finishing. It's pretty much seamless. There just a little grafting under each arm and thats it.

Kaity's on a scarf kick so I knit her an April Scarf.

April Scarf

The pattern is pretty simple so I worked on it while watching TV. I'm using a skien of Knit Picks Chroma Fingering weight in the Lollipop color way. It's been in my stash for some time now and Kaity adores the color.

I'm making another Ripple Afghan.

BSU Ripple Blanket

What good Boise State Broncos fan doesn't have a blue and orange blanket on their couch! JoAnn had the yarn on sale so I nabbed it up and got to work on it while watching the game. One more game to go against Utah State next weekend. We win that one and we're going to the host the championship game and could be looking at a New Years Day bowl game. Gonna be watching and yelling at my tv next Saturday. Wished I could afford game tickets. Le Sigh....maybe next year.

I have another cardi and some fingerless mitts for myself and a few small things for my mom. I'm going to start kicking in to gear on the Christmas knitting. My only project is making some Christmas ornaments and lots and lots of Candy Cane Ponies. I also have a few sewing projects I'll be swapping with my knitting to give my hands a break. The tiny joints are what are giving me fits. I've had to many days where my hands and feet hurt.

Till next time Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment