Oct 14, 2008

Snow, Seriously!

We've seen snow here already. For 3-4 days it felt as if we completely skipped fall and went straight to winter here in my neck of the woods. Really cold, below freezing temps at night and the occasional snow flurry. This is what we woke up to on Sunday morning.

DSC05975

I think the official total for the 12th of Oct was 6.5 inches of snow. Serious burrrrr! Kaity had a blast playing in the snow. Unfortunately Bree didn't get a chance to play in it this time. I need to buy her a pair of snow mittens and snow boots. The snow showed up before I got a chance to pick them up. It warmed up Monday so the snow is now gone. We're now seeing warmer more Fall like temps.

I've been staying busy with my knitting. I'm waiting on new yarn for a test knit so I've been working on my own stuff.

Kaity informed me the other day that she needed new mittens.

DSC05977

The purple mittens I made for her last year are to small. Now I can't have her walking around with mittens that are to small now can I. So off to the yarn room I went to dig out some yarn for a new pair of mittens. Last year I knit a mitten inside the mitten but that turned out to be a pain in the rear end so this year I'm knitting a separate inner mitten that she can wear under these mittens on really cold days. The outer mittens are being made out of some Plymouth Galway Paint that I picked up from Old MacDonalds Craft Barn. The pattern is the Elegant and Easy Cabled Mittens pattern (Rav) from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders. This pattern has become my favorite basic mitten pattern. I haven't decided on the yarn for the inner mittens yet. I'm thinking about picking up a skein of LL Shepherd Sport to knit the inner mittens out of. That seemed to work well for the mittens I made last year.

I'm making great progress on Kaity's bamboo socks.

DSC05979

This is a shot of them from a few days ago. I've actually turned the heels and am working on the legs now. I've been mostly working on these when I'm in the car. The Regia bamboo is nice to work with although if you aren't careful you can split it but it's not horribly splitty. I'm curious to see how well they wear. Kaity is rather hard on her socks but I haven't seen any holes in the socks she currently has.

I'm working on a new dishcloth.

DSC05982

This is the Reverse Miter Dischloth (Rav)(non Rav). This is a super easy pattern if you want to make a quick and easy dishcloth and it makes it easy to use up those leftover cotton scraps. I'm using some Sugar N' Cream that I picked up on sale at JoAnn's awhile back. I do believe that the color is called sunkissed. Nice and cheerful to help brighten those dreary sunless days that seem to happen all to frequently here in the winter.

Kaity's coat is knitting up nicely. Sorry no pics. I think they'd be kind of boring anyway since everything is in pieces. I've finished the second front piece and one sleeve. I've started sleeve number two. By my count I have sleeve number two to finish, the hood, two pockets, seaming it all together and the i-cord trim. All in all the bulk of the coat is complete. I should have it done in less then two weeks if I keep working on it.

Next up in the queue is a baby blanket for my cousin who is due in Dec (if I remember correctly) which means I should get started on this soon if I want to finish it before wee one shows up. Some socks for my mom are in order since she is sorely lacking in the handknit socks department. Being the good daughter I am I'll knit her some more. Who doesn't need more handknit socks? Finally hubby needs a helmet liner/ski mask. I want to make something warm for him to wear while he's out shoveling snow. It can get pretty cold here in the wintertime specially when the wind is ripping through here. 29 degrees F doesn't feel to bad ** unless the wind is blowing at 30+ miles per hour.

** Some may say I'm crazy for making that statement.  :~)

I hope to be back soon with some finished projects to show off.

Happy Crafting!



11 comments:

  1. I'd say the snow is a great excuss to stay in and knit!!! The mittens look super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a-lotta snow. I rarely get to see good snow here in Texas. Your mom is super lucky to have an awesome daughter as yourself to make her tons of socks. :)
    Can't wait to see Kaity's coat all put together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow!! How awesome!! It's supposed to be 75 here today - I'm so looking forward to vacation in the northeast so we can have some fall temps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your mittens. The cable works with the varigated yarn and enhances it. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow? Wow! It's around 70-80 still here and hopefully a couple of more weeks before we have a cold front. :) bree is too cute in her kangaroo outfit. I about died laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. snow?? that's just crazy! it was 80 here today. I'm really looking foward to some cool weather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm impressed. I haven't seen snow in a couple of years, especially that early too. Good excuse to knit more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SNOW?!?!?!?!?! Holy cow! It's only October! And it was 80 degrees today in Northern California. Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all for snow - but only in the winter! I would seriously cry if I was deprived of my favorite season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our snow melted off after a day. The snow in the foot hills lasted a week before it disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just cruising through my military knitter links! What a cute mitten! Nice work you do! Love the snow picture! Like the colors on your blog- need to come back :)

    ReplyDelete