Jan 22, 2009

It Never Lasts!

The warm up in the weather was just to good to be true. Actually it was unseasonably warm here with some days hitting into the mid 60's (Fahrenheit that is). That all changed this morning. When Kaity left for school it was 42F outside and in less then 2 hours the temp was registering in the 20s. Sheesh! It appears as if we are going back to the subzero temps again. Anyone wanna remind me why we didn't take those orders to Las Vegas? Their temps are in the 60's for the next 5 days. Oh, I remember now, it was the crime, crowds, traffic, etc. OK maybe I'll keep dealing with the cold.

For those of you wondering, my root canal went great with very little pain afterward. The pain was from the 500 million times I was stuck with the Novocaine needle. Ok, ok, it was more like 6 or so and the dentist was really nice. I still need to get my crown put on but my dentist couldn't get me in until the beginning of next month. I may still have to have one more root canal on a smaller tooth but at least now I know what to expect.

I have done a wee bit of knitting since my last post.

First up is my hat. At least my head will be warm now that the temps are dropping.

Watch Cap

My goofy assistant helped model the hat although my head is bigger then hers so the hats a tad to big. The pattern is the Classic World War II Watch Cap (Ravelry)(non Ravelry). The yarn is Tosh worsted and it took about 3/4 of a skein.

Watch Cap

Don't you just love those decreases! I still have about 1 full skein and maybe a total of about 1/2 a skein left over between the cowl and the hat. I don't have any plans as of yet for the last skein but I was thinking maybe a nice pair of boot socks. I'm going to let it marinate in my stash for a wee bit.

Dishcloth #2 for the Monthly Dishcloth KAL.

Mid-Jan KAL dishcloth

The picture isn't all that great but that's what you get for trying to take a picture when the natural light stinks. There will be a total of 24 cloths by the end of the year. The group knits two cloths each month. It's about the only KAL I can actually stick with. Most are to long and lose my attention quickly.

The stripey-stripey socks are making progress.

Stripey-Stripey Socks

They now have heels. I have no idea how long I'll make the cuffs on this pair. I'll knit until I'm tired of them and then start a new pair. I only work on these when I'm in the car which is probably why I haven't gotten tired of them yet.

I've started Shawn's cabled hoodie but I haven't made a whole lot of progress on it. 240+ stitches in garter stitch in the round is slow going. Plus I've set it aside to finish up the test knit I was working on. I'll pick it back up in the next few days.

That pretty much sums up everything here. It's been a little dull. I think it has to do with the diet Shawn and I are on. Basically the first 9 days are a vegetarian type diet and then you slowly add meats and other things back into your diet. There are no really "no-nos" with this diet after you finish all the phases, what it's teaching you is to make proper choices like instead of grabbing a bag of chips for a snack get a piece of fruit or a yogurt and that exercising is important. Not to mention helping you drop the weight. This diet has made me realize a few things: (a) I am not cut out to be a vegetarian. I Like Meat!!! I really really miss meat!!!, (b) I can live without Starbucks but don't want to, and (c) I really miss chocolate but can live without (shock, gasp, I know who would have thought it). 4 More days and I get a reward of a Grande Caramel Frapp from Sbux. I will succeed! I shall be like The Little Engine That Could, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

It appears that we are trying to come down with a head cold. Kaity started it with a stuffed nose and a sore throat and has moved on to a cough. Bree and I are starting to feel yuck too. I'll be back soon with another post. Hopefully I'll have more to update on the hoodie and I know I have some club packages coming in so the post will probably be full of goodies.

Happy Crafting!



9 comments:

  1. Very nice hat! Love that Tosh Worsted. Sorry to hear your temps are going to drop. Ours, too, but not as bad as yours. Good luck on the diet. I gave up a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hat. I have a collection of WW2 knitting patterns I've been meaning to knit. I want to make David some rifle gloves. I also love that my grandmother knit the same patterns all those years ago.
    I'm sure meat abstinence has to lead to meat appreciation.
    Keep warm. We knew it couldn't last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, stay away from that cold, you know it's never fun. The watch cap looks great and if you finish those socks, you can keep those warm at least. If you need help with you test knits, I could always lend you a hand :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cool decreases on that hat.
    Mmm...meat...mmm...meat...mmm...meat... am I making you hungry? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everyone is well by now. Good to know your root canal wasn't too bad. :)
    That is one super pretty colorway for that hat.
    Good luck on your new healthier way of living. I know you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you! love those decreases on the hat
    I need to get back on the wagon too... the holidays plus puppies killed me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh I love the decreases on the hat. Those are really nice! I grabbed the pattern, but what pattern did you use...looks like there are a few to choose from :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just tagged you for a meme on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you're staying warm! Kaity is such a god model.

    ReplyDelete