Aug 14, 2009

FO's and Yummy Goodies!

Things have been pretty busy here. I try to stay busy since it keeps me out of trouble. It's almost time for the kiddo to go back to school....woohoo! I'm ready to have a little peace and quiet here in the house. The girls normally play well together but when they're around each other for to long they fight a lot. Kaity has a bad habit of bossing Bree and that just pisses Bree off.

I finished my "on the go" socks.

Toe up Kroy Socks



These are a basic toe up sock using a turkish cast on. The yarn is Paton's Kroy self striping sock yarn and they don't match because there was a knot in on of the skeins that reversed the pattern. I really hate yarn companies that do that. It's cheap sock yarn so I'm not over mad about it. Non matchy matchy socks don't bother me so it's all good.



I also finished my On-Hold socks (ravelry).



On-Hold Socks



The yarn is Madelinetosh sock, color: Cherry. The picture is so so. It's hit or miss with the sun around here. We've been getting thunderstorms in the afternoons and although most of the storms pass us by without so much as a drop of rain we still get all the lovely cloud cover.



I have a few more skeins of handspun to show off.

First up is a skein of yummy purple yarn.

Handspun Merino/Seacell



I used Zen Yarn Garden Merino/Seacell roving. This stuff is seriously sooooooooft. Very smooth and a little slick to spin but wasn't to bad once I got the hang of it. I'm definitely going to be buying more of this fiber type...yum. This one will soon become a cowl for me.

Next up is the last two skein I finished.



Handspun



The one on the left is BFL roving from Zen Yarn Garden and the colors remind me of candied caramel apples. If I figured this correct I have around 278 yards of sport weight yarn though there are a few spots through out that are a little bit thicker or thinner then sport weight. I'm going to try for a pair of socks out of this.

The skein on the right is superwash merino from Yarn Pirate in the Rosie colorway. I purchased mine at TLE but they're out of stock right now. I know Yarn Pirate also sells her roving through her etsy shop but she hasn't stocked the shop yet. This one is a thick and thin worsted/bulky yarn. Kaity has already claimed this one as her own. She's requested a cowl out of it. She's also a converted scarf user. All she asks for are cowls after the one I made her last year.



My Pearl-barred Scallop Scarf (ravelry)(non ravelry).



Pearl-Barred Scallop Scarf



It doesn't look like much but when the pattern is blocked out it's a really pretty lacy scarf. I'm making this for a friend. I wasn't going to post about it since the friend in question reads the blog but then it dawned on me (yes my brain works slowly most of the time) that said friend doesn't know he/she will be receiving this so I can post all the pics I want. I have about 20 inches of scarf so far. The yarn is Malabrigo sock, color Impressionist Sky. I have the pattern memorized so I've been zipping right along on this one. Fingers crossed that friend will like it.



I also started two pair of socks but haven't taken any progress photos. I'll try to get pics for the next blog post.



I managed to snag this yummy JulieSpins fiber from someone who was destashing it.



JuliaSpins Merino/Seacell Roving



It's Merino/Seacell in pretty pinks. Normally I'm not much of a pink person but I really liked the way this one looked. I've heard her sock yarn is super yummy but I'm just not in to stalking sites for yarn anymore. If I can't buying it without fighting other people for it, I don't want it.



I did some destashing so I could restash. I know that for some this makes sense and others think that I'm insane. It makes me happy and it's not hurting anyone so who cares. It's my only habit since I quit smoking. It's either stash or smoke. I think I'll stick with stashing since it's much healthier. If you have a snarky comment about my stash keep it to yourself because you will get no response from me. I ignore people who spread stupid.

I ordered The Loopy Ewe's 3rd anniversary kit.

TLE 3rd Year Anniversay Kit



I'm a sucker for coffee mugs and I really liked this Lorna's Laces colorway so I bought it. I'm actually sipping coffee from the mug as I type this.



I purchase this yarn from Eat.Sleep.Knit.



For Cowls



This is a really nice shop. I've been branching out and looking for other online shops to buy from. Not because I'm unhappy with the ones I shop from but because I want some yarn variety other then sock yarn plus I'm always looking for shops that carry roving. I'll definitely be going back to this shop. The cool thing is you get these lotto scratch cards that you can win things from like store credit, kits, yarn, etc. The two purple skeins are Malabrigo Silky Merino, colorway Blackberry, which will soon become a moebius cowl (ravelry)(non ravelry). The other skein is Yarn Love Anne Shirley in the Summer Sangria colorway which will most likely become a cowl and a pair of fingerless mitts if I have enough leftover.



I picked up this skein of yarn from Sonny and Shear.



Artsygal Merino Sock Yarn





It picked it up with a 40% off coupon that came off of already clearance yarn prices. It is such a bright cheery colorway though I have no idea what I'll make with it. I have a few patterns that I think will work quite nicely.





My August shipment from LOTR sock club. The club was renamed to Lord of the Strings but I just don't care for the name and just can't use it. It sounds goofy.....well maybe that's just my craziness coming out again. This of course did not stop me from joining in on round 2 of the club.

Picked up some Arucania Nature Wool Multi.

Aruacania Nature Wool Multi



It was on sale at WEBS so I picked it up to knit Mara (ravelry)(non ravelry - this is a direct pdf link). I want one of my own and although I'd love to knit one it Tosh worsted I can't really afford 3-4 skeins right now. I do have plans to make one in Tosh worsted later on but I want one now because winter is going to be here before I know it and I need something warm to snuggle under.



I just finished a test knit for Woolgirl. I have a few samples that I'll post about next time. I have one I can show you here in a few more weeks and one that I'm going to be starting here in the next few days when I get it in the mail.



I'm holding out on starting another spinning project since my Spin Art Fiber club (from Zen Yarn Garden) has shipped. The fiber club is closed but will reopen in 3 months. I really want to start that when it gets here. I need to buy a few more bobbins for my wheel. I've come to the stunning revelation that 4 bobbins are not enough. I'm hoping to upgrade to the sliding hook flyer for my Traveller soon. I don't mind stopping to move my yarn since it gives me a change to stretch and give my legs a break.



I think that covers everything for now.

Happy Crafting!

6 comments:

  1. Knitting in New JerseyAug 12, 2009, 6:10:00 AM

    Wow. That's a lot of new and beautiful yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. some nice fibers!! i was evil and ordered the loopy anniversary kit as well! (dont tell hubby)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the purple handspun! LOVE it! I love the others too but not as much I LOVE the purple. 4 bobbins are definitely not enough. The Ashford bobbins are reasonably priced compared to many others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful socks and gorgeous fibers and stash enhancement. Thanks for the link to the scarf pattern. I really like it. Hope all is well with you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your handspun looks amazing! makes me want to spin!

    ReplyDelete