Nov 23, 2008

Misery Loves Company....

So someone needs to get out here to keep me company because frankly I'm miserable.

Please forgive me but I need to rant about the extreme _______ that live in this town.....feel free to fill in the blank with your favorite insult, cuss word, etc for the people who annoy the living day lights out of you. I'm trying to keep it clean for polite company but I have some really creative words for the moronic population of this town. I've been through quite a few cities thanks to the military and I've got to say this one is at the top of my list of places I will never live in again.

I'm beginning to believe that they hand out drivers license in this town without individuals having to prove that they can drive. The police force here is pretty much non existent. We go into town frequently and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a cop in the past year and of those times all but one time were on the main road near the military base. Guess the main priorities of the local cops is to catch the speeding military members. In the past year we have almost been hit 6 times. One of those just happened today too. Some crazy lady in an SUV was in a hurry and tried to get into our lane. If we wouldn't have honked the horn she would have hit our car. She then proceeds to be childish by riding our bumper until another car turns and then went flying past us giving us nasty looks...yup, real mature I know. As if her dirty looks hurt my feelings. I could care less.

The people here are generally rude and nasty. I had one lady practically cuss me out one day because I blocked her from going through the door because I was coming out of the door with Bree in the stroller. She starts telling me that I'm going "out" through the "in" door. Now the store I was at does not have doors marked for entrance and exit. You just go in and out of which ever door you want to.

I can't tell you how many times I've been smacked with carts or cussed at because I was in some ones way. Everyone here seems to be in a hurry. I haven't been in any stores in this town that this hasn't happened. I've been here a little over a year and I'm miserable. The base isn't bad but I hate the town! I hate it here because I'm so uncomfortable with driving in this town that I stay home all the time.

I'm one of those people who thinks that an military assignment is what you make of it. If you think you're going to be miserable you probably will be unless you do something to change things. I hated being stationed in the south because of the weather but I had a great time because of all the friends I made. Not to mention that there isn't anything better then some southern comfort food or better yet Cajun food.....man I miss the food. Idaho wasn't too bad except for the last few years before we left. Things were getting bad for Shawn at work and there were changes on the base that would have made it bad for us if we would have stayed.

What's really sad is that Boise is 5 times bigger then this place and I never had half the problems in the 9 years that I was there that I  have here. We've contemplated moving back to Idaho when Shawn's done with the military aside from the military base we had a good time in Idaho and enjoyed the people there. We have 4 years to go here until Shawn retired because our only other option to get out of here is to put in for a set of orders overseas and that's not an option. We only took this base because there was no way I was living in Las Vegas and we couldn't afford the cost of living in Southern California and who in their right mind goes to Minot AFB, ND. I've tried really hard to be happy here. I've tried to ignore the rudeness and general dislike emanating from the locals. I've put on a good face, smile and say every things alright but it isn't and I don't think there's much I can do to make it better. God knows I've tried. The rudeness is getting to me.

My saving grace is all the friends I've made through this blog and Ravelry. If it wasn't for you guys being here to help me through the hard times and listen to me rant, I don't know what I would do.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for me. Super Big Hugs from me to all of you!!!! And I promise the next post will be knitting related and on a happier note.  :)




12 comments:

  1. Go ahead and rant away. I know exactly how you feel. You are so entitled. It's awful when you hate the town you live in. I did it for 27 years. Hang on to that light at the end of the tunnel. Next time you move, you can choose where you go instead of the AF telling you where to live. We are all here for you. Count on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your town sucks. Every time I have to drive around here (Boston area) I can't wait to move on. I even have a count down for when we should be able to move next. I have learned to relax a bit so I'm not as miserable as I was a year ago but I think you have to release the tension every so often to keep going. Complain away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Trish. I really don't know why this town is so bad. They really seem to hate and resent the military here.
    What they don't realize is that this town is nothing without the Air Force's personnel and money.
    I was taught to say "excuse me" when I bump into someone, reach over them, or walk between two people talking. Not here.
    What are they in a hurry for? There isn't anything here to see!
    I haven't worked here because they see your address and know you're a military family and refuse to interview/consider/hire you. It's depressing.
    My life has gotten pretty small. I don't leave the house much. I can't even go to a PTA meeting without hearing someone talking smack about the Air Force.
    Honestly, I wouldn't retire here. The people suck, there's no job market, and when more of the ICBMs leave, this base has no jets.
    Have you ever been to FE Warren? We loved Wyoming. Idaho wasn't too bad, either.
    You're right, I'd rather live in the South than here.
    Sorry to take over your blog. Feel free to delete this very long comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to listen! Ps...I know cajun food is awesome! I will definitely miss it when we leave Louisiana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh!!!!! I'm so sorry! What a tough situation. Well, you're welcome to visit once we have a guest room. Just do your best not to become one of the rude-ies. You don't have to go there to be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack. I turn around and you've been posting like mad. So sorry that you've been dealing with rudeness. I always wonder about people spreading their unhappiness around.
    Also, I never got help when I had all 4 of my kids with me but if my hubby were to step out with them, he got the royal treatment! What an amazing dad to be taking care of his kids. Sheesh. He's doing what he's suppose to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm....how far away are you again? LOL I got laid-off a week ago and have nothing to do! Want company? :) As retired military and very vocal, (only kidding!) I could cause a ruckus in your town. :) Rant away...I've lived in this town for 20 years now and the past 8 years have been the pits....but a couple of more years and hubby will retire. He want's Nebraska (brrrrr) and I was thinking more like S. Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what is up with that? want me to come give them some south philly smack down? that will teach them manners!
    its horrible to hear of so much rudeness in one place
    you and your family are welcome here anytime! it may not be perfect, but at least we say 'scuze me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang girl, I'm so sorry to hear about the crappy situation you're in. Why do people suck? grrrr. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the town, not you. I grew up in a small-minded, gossip-ridden, rude town and I don't like going back to visit even for the day. I'm sorry that they don't appreciate your family...I certainly do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Sweetie. It's hard. When your time is up, come home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it can be tough being stuck at a place you don't like. I couldn't wait to get out of our last duty station. I was there twice and it didn't improve much over the time. People here in KY seem to be much nicer, even if they can't help you, but they don't get rude. There are, however, certain areas even I wouldn't wander into, so I've heard.

    ReplyDelete