Dec 20, 2008

Still Freezin'

The weather here is still suckish. Since the weather here is hovering around subzero temps (when you factor in the wind chill it goes below zero) I'm contemplating a trip to The Bahamas. Check out their weather. I don't think you can get much better then that! Anyone else want to join me?

Today's post is a goodie post. I've received a few things in the mail since my last knitting post.

I wanted to see for myself what the Noro Kureyon sock is like.

Noro Sock

I have some of the Silk Garden Sock and it's pretty nice but I wanted to see what the Noro Sock is like. Since the only way to find out if you are going to like a yarn is to buy some and try it I've been keeping an eye out on the Ravelry Destash board for some. This is colorway S185. It's definitely rougher then any sock yarn I've ever used but I'll give it a try. I can handle scratch specially if it softens up a little bit and is warm. Plus Noro's colors are gorgeous.

I bought the new Socks a la Carte sock book.

Socks a la Carte

I have a half a bazillion bonus points with my book club so I used some to get this book and it cost me less then $10 with shipping. The book actually came in when it was still a pre-order from Amazon and SWTC. Guess the book club decided to get a head start on things.

It's a unique book and I only have two complaints. The first one is that they used a red yarn to knit the sample socks so some of the sock patterns don't show up as well. Hello, everyone knows that red is one of the most difficult colors to photograph. The second is that after you build up the sock the way you want it you have to go to three different pages for the instructions. This can be a little annoying. I generally make a copy of the pattern so I can make notes, changes, etc so it's not a deal breaker for me but I have a scanner/copier/printer so making a copy isn't a problem for me. All in all I think it's a pretty good book and the fact that it helps you customize your sock is awesome.

Two knit coffee mugs.

Knit Mugs

Shawn picked these up from me today. How can a knitter pass up knit coffee cups? They are fairly lightweight so they don't kill my hands to hold them when they are full of coffee.

Some yummy Twisted Fiber Art Kabam!

Twisted Fiber Art Kabam!

I got this from someone who was destashing on Ravelry. The colorway is Saucy. The colors are gorgeous and it's a self striping so I'm happy now. Although I still want to get my hands on some of the Warlock colorway. Kabam! is a merino/bamboo/nylon blend. I really like the merino/bamboo blends. I missed this last update but there's always hope that I'll catch the next one.

A sock project bag.

Sock Project Bag

Don't you just love all the funky fun colors? During this time of year anything bright and cheering is welcomed. I picked this bag up from Annie Purl who was wonderful to deal with. She sent me a message to let me know that she'd dropped the package off at the PO. It's a great project bag and the perfect size to hold my current "to go" sock project. Plus if Santa is kind and brings me my new knitting bag I requested it will fit in there wonderfully.

Some very yummy holiday Madelinetosh sock yarn.

Madelinetosh Sock

I picked this up when Madelinetosh did her holiday update on etsy. The colorway is Grinch. I love the colors and am looking forward to knitting with it.

Wollmeise, who can pass up Wollmeise!

Wollmeise Sock Yarn

I swapped with a Ravelry user for this color, Tiefer See which is gorgeous mix of blues and greens. She was looking for the Sultan colorway and I had fell out of love with it so we swapped and everyone's happy!

Christmas Sock Monkey (Ravelry)(non Ravelry).

Knit Sock Monkey

It's now complete and ready to be loved by Kaity. I'm thinking about making it a hat and scarf. We wouldn't want the poor monkey to get cold now would we. Plus Kaity is going to ask for them anyway. It might get a little cardi too.

Christmas Bucket O' Balls (Ravelry)(non Ravelry).

Toy Bucket

This one is made for Bree. I was going to make her a monkey but decided she'd have more fun with these toy instead. I used several different colors of Red Heart Classic from my stash. It's not my most favorite yarn to knit with but I wanted something durable.

Now I leave you with cute toddler!

Ready for Winter

I had a doctors appointment the other day and since the wicked freezing cold weather is still here it calls for warm stuff. I found the hat/mitten set on sale at Kmart....isn't it so cute? It's a tad big but that's OK Bree didn't seem to mind.

Happy Crafting!



9 comments:

  1. We're freezing, too. 6 below right now and falling! Poor Milo can hardly make it outside and back in again. This has to stop!! Love all the goodies. The Noro is a real love/hate yarn for socks. It does soften with a good soak. Still Magic Looping my little fingers to the bone. I even resorted to a 40" today just to start another pattern. I thought about the book you ordered. I still may have to give it a try. Hope you all are safe, sound and warm. Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has everything...yummy yarn, great FOs, cute kids, what else can I ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a lucky woman.
    I love my Noro socks. I am a big handspun fan and I love the rough and rustic texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Starbucks mugs - I think I'm going to pick up another one to keep back as a gift when I need one! What bag did you ask Santa for? I asked for an Offhand Bag (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a nice pre christmas gift box for you and those mugs are just too cute. Send me a card from the Bahamas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohh lots of goodies! love the mugs, are they Starbucks? and the monkey is awesome! bucket of balls may just be my next project for a kid... so frigging clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I love the sock monkey!!!! She's so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always fall for the cute toddler trick on postings. How could I not when you post that cute little face? So adorable.
    The bucket of balls is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. look at you and your awesome stash enhancements!! I've been thinking about getting that book too, thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete