Jun 14, 2007

Excellent Progress!

OK, I must getting the non-knitting news out right now.....if your not interested in anything other then the knitting skip this paragraph and head on to the knitting content.  My hubby made rank this year.  For all of you who don't know much about the inner workings of the Air Force, to make rank from Staff Sargent through Master Sargent....see miltary ranks here or here.....you must take some good size tests, which test the persons knowledge of the Air Force's history, customs, and the like and a test on that persons specific job....there's a good amount of studying involved.  This was Shawn's 4th or 5th year of testing so it was really great to here that he made it.  He's super excited about it and so am I!  He should be sewing on Technical Sergeant (TSgt) either the 1st of July or the 1st of Aug.

Now on to knitting!  I took a progress picture of Kaity's sundress last night.

Dscn0810


I'm so close to having this baby done.  I can probably finish it up this afternoon if I get the time.  The dress pieces are matching up great it's just the picture and the way they are pinned that make it look as if one pieces is bigger then the other.  If I can get them finished this afternoon I can work on blocking them tomorrow and if all goes well I'll have it seamed up tomorrow night.



In case anyone is wondering the dress pieces are pinned to a blanket I made for Kaity when she was a baby.  We didn't have carpet in our old house and I didn't want her crawling around on the cold tile floor so I made her an over sized blanket to play on.  It will drape nicely over a twin size bed.   :~) 



It's made up of blocks sewn together that are 8" x 8" give or take a little.  Each 8" block consists of 4 coordinating smaller blocks sewn together.  For this blanket I found several print pieces that I liked and got a solid to go with each of the prints so each 8" square has 2 smaller squares of the same print and 2 squares of it's coordinating solid.  The backing to the blanket is just your standard fleece you can buy at Wal-Mart for about $8-$12 a yard.  I think the whole blanket cost me about $60-$70 in materials.  I could have bought something cheaper but look how long it's lasted.  :~)



I machine quilted the top, batting and backing together instead of hand stitching it or using yarn to hold it all together.  I didn't want to use yarn ties because I didn't want Kaity picking at them all the time. It was fun and easy to sew.



Happy Knitting Everyone!  Hope you all find time to knit today!



6 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations to the hubby, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to the Hubby!!
    The sun dress looks pretty neat-o.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Shawn!!! That's great.
    Kaity is going to love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Shawn! Good job, and thanks for serving.
    Trish - Kaity's blanket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your hubby for a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Shawn! That is loads of hard work! You guys must be so psyched!

    ReplyDelete