Apr 27, 2007

Sock With A Mind

I was on a sock roll tonight so I figured I'd just keep going with it.  So after finishing up Kaity's socks I started working on my CTH socks.  Here's what the second sock looks like next to the first sock.

Dsc02879


The second sock started pooling a lot more and didn't stripe like the first one did.  No biggie, I wasn't expecting them to match up considering the varigatedness of the yarn.  I also have a sneaking suspicion that it started pooling the way it did because the ribbing is different then the first sock.  What I don't get is that it is now starting to strip just like the first sock did.  You can see the stripe forming down there next to the needles.  I'm beginning to think this sock has a mind of its own.   I did nothing to alter the stitches to get it to stripe it just started doing it on its own.  This will probably be the pair that jumps out of the drawer and drinks my rum in the middle of the night.  :~)
They are both twisted rib at the top but the first one is wrong because I was wrapping the yarn wrong.  Which is I think part of the reason the sock started pooling more.  You can see the ribbing better if you click on the pic to get the full picture size.   I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was now wrapping correctly so therefore the ribbing was actually going to twist right when I cast on for this sock.  There's 4 inches of sock....there's no way I'm ripping it out.  Plus I don't care that the ribbing looks different.  I'm the only one that sees the top of my socks.  :~)  The twisted rib will be twisted from here on out.
So these socks are definitely fraternal, but I love them.  I'll love them even more when I get them finished because that means I can start another pair for myself....WooHoo!  I have about two inches to go and I can start the heel.  Yippy!

Oh and as a follow up to my Banana Bread post earlier, the recipe worked out good.  It did indeed taste as yummy as it looked.



3 comments:

  1. I like both pairs of socks. I'm having the same issues with the Baby Cable socks, but I guess I'll just let them do their thing. The fun is in the surprise. Doesn't matter to me if socks are identical or fraternal. I made them and that's all that counts. :) Hope you have a good weekend. Dave leaves for D.C. tomorrow for a week. That means KNITTING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the often unpredictable nature of sock yarn pooling/striping i'm glad I decided that I really like fraternal socks or I'd be going nuts! I am still giggling at the mental image of these socks escaping the dresser for a midnight tipple - too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering what happened to my Strongbow ciders! now I know.. its my socks! lol
    and I like fraternal socks too!

    ReplyDelete