Apr 11, 2007

Yarn, Socks, and Aggravation!

On the sock knitting front, I'm completely aggravated with the Monkey socks for my swap partner that I'm currently working on.  I had the stupid thing almost done last night and ended up having to rip the whole toe out.  I then had problems picking up the stitches and lost the last pattern repeat.  The socks went flying while Shawn ignored me and continued to watch TV.....he's a smart man to keep quiet when I get mad.....lol.  Although I am proud of myself, no new cuss words.  :~)  About 10 minutes later I picked up the sock fixed the pattern repeat and put it away for the night.  I'm still mad at it right now but I'll work on it later tonight.  It won't take much for me to get it finished up tonight.  That will make it 4 days to make a sock.....that is a personal best.



Dsc02761



My first box from the Loopy Ewe came in this morning.....Yippy!  That's the one with the Louet Gems in it.  Oh boy "I Heart Louet Gems"!  It is squishy and soooooo soft.  No wonder Cookie A. uses it to make her socks.  I will be buying more.  Sheri also sent me a skein of yarn to make a baby hat for the Loopy Ewe Q2 Challenge.  I have some great yarns in my stash for wristers but don't really have anything that would be appropriate for a baby hat so I asked Sheri if she could throw something in.  The yarn Sheri sent me is perfect.  Now all I need to do is figure out a pattern or make one up.


I do have to admit that I couldn't pass up the Cider Moon and Fleece Artist that Sheri added so I bought Cider Moon in the Go Go colorway (sold out) and Fleece Artist in the Marine colorway.  So I should see that box by the weekend....hopefully.  :~)  Plus I just got the confirmation stating my Vesper sock yarn from Knitterly Things has shipped today.....YIPPY!!!!!   I can't wait to get that in. 



Now onto the moving front.  We are pretty much guaranteed to get one of the first two bases on our list.  Our top two are Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, MT or F.E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne, WY.  We were told we will have orders in hand by 15 May so we could find out any time between now and 15 May where we are going.  The person Shawn talked to said to check the database from time to time to see if we've been assigned a base. 



Either base is going to be a fairly easy move for us because both bases are about 8 hours away.  No 8-10 hour days in the car with the kids, dogs, and cat for days on end.  :~)  Talk about a major relief there.  Although Shawn was bummed that we would only be getting one day of travel pay....no super nice hotel rooms for $50 a night.  When we came up here we stayed in some really nice hotels for $50-$60 a night while everyone else was paying closer to $100 a night.  The only place we had to pay $80 was in Mitchell, SD which unless it's grown since we went through doesn't have a whole lot to of anything.  Hell we were charged $80 and we couldn't even drink the friggin' water.....don't you think that would be deserving of a discount....lol. 



The discount really comes in handy to be traveling on military orders.  Most hotels have a military discount or have a government rate for those who are traveling on orders.  You won't believe the places that have military discounts, you just have to ask for it.  :~)  I guess you can consider that a nice little perk for being in the military.  Although I'm not sure if that would be worth signing away 4-6 years of your life over to Uncle Sam.....lol.



We're going to start cleaning out the crap in our house starting this weekend.  I don't want to take junk with me when we leave here and we are only allowed around 8,000-9,000 pounds if I remember correctly.  If we go over our weight allowance we have to pay so much per pound which is no biggie if you only go over like a few hundred pounds.



Damn I was long winded today.....sorry all.  :~)



2 comments:

  1. 4 days for a sock? I'm impressed!
    My vote is for Cheyenne (not that far from Denver for long weekends of yarn stores). Is the 8,000-9,000 lbs all yarn? Just checking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! Only 1 day travel? and only 8000-9000 lbs? yikes, my furniture weighs that much! then we get to the yarn and I'm definately over!
    Now, what is up with you and those Monkey socks??? lol

    ReplyDelete