Apr 12, 2007

Yarn Substitution

A while back I purchased some books off of ebay.  One of them was a Debbie Bliss book called "New Baby Knits".  This book was published like 16 years or so ago.  It's not out of print, you can buy it at here.



My problem is that the yarn that is used through out the book is made by Hayfield and I can't for the life of me find info on the yarn.  I guess this was before Debbie Bliss got her own line of yarns.  The other Debbie Bliss book I purchased uses her yarns which I can find info on and very easily sub. 



I've googled till I'm blue in the face and have found like next to nothing about this yarn.  Does anyone have this yarn or no anything about it?  All I want is the friggin' yardage and gauge so I can sub it with something else.  Shoot I'll be happy with yardage.
Here's the Hayfield yarns used in the book:



  1. Grampian DK, 50g ball


  2. Grampian Aran 100g ball


  3. Pure Wool Classics 4-ply, 50g ball


  4. Pure Wool Classics DK, 50g ball


  5. Silky Cotton DK, 50g ball


  6. Brig Aran, 100g ball


  7. Raw Cotton Classics 4-ply, 50g


Am I making this harder on myself then need be?  Should I just buy the yarn I think is closest to the yarn used and start knitting.  I just want to make sure I'm going to have enough yarn with out having 7 extra skeins.



2 comments:

  1. This was from a search I did: Hope it helps. Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:33:46 -0400
    From: "Jean Revill"
    Subject: Re: Hayfield Grampian DK Yarn
    Joan, you can use your dk without difficulty. The Sirdar Country
    Style dk is essentially the same yarn, if you ever want a more
    "exact" substitute. Same 'manufacturer', same owner.... same
    content....
    I use this interchangeably with Grampian DK (which has been
    discontinued by the woman who owns the two lines, as she combined
    and rationalised production).
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.is there a gauge?
    2. can you contact the publisher or someone at Debbie Bliss for a sub?

    ReplyDelete