Mar 21, 2007

Gone Insane

Mom: Don't bother to read any farther if you don't want to know about your gift. :~)

OK, now with that said let me give you all the run down of my completely aggravating experience last night.
A while back I purchase yarn and a pattern from Knit Picks to start knitting a gift for my mom. Now I'm already going to miss the B-Day deadline of 24 Mar but with the way I've been knitting she would have gotten it around the 1st of Apr. Back to the story at hand, I purchased the pattern and the yarn needed for the pattern which was 2 hanks, now a smart person would have ordered 2 more hanks but no ones ever accused me of high intelligence in all matters of life. :~)
I have my 2 hanks, I wind each into a ball, then wind the two together to make life easier....this pattern calls for the yarn to be double stranded. I then cast on and start knitting away.....everything's going great till I hit a round that has 6 stitches left after the pattern repeat. Well I needed a grand total of 30 stitches. So adding the 6 stitches to the 24 stitches that were already worked gave me 30, right. So showing my true daring knitter self I knitted the stitches and went on my way. After a few round I looked at the pattern, every thing looks great so I move on and continue to knit.
Thus comes to lasts nights problem, which by the way has nothing to do with the 30 stitch problem I just mentioned above. Don't ask why it's there, it's 5:20 am, I'm dead tired because Bree was kind enough to wake me up at 4 am.
So back to the story. Here I am last night knitting away thinking "yeah I rock, I'm kickin' butt and takin' names". At round 40 I look down at the yarn and notice it's getting pretty light but I keep chuggin' away. I look down again at round 50 and that's of course when "Ah Shit" comes flying out of my mouth.....don't worry the kiddos were sleeping. My ball of yarn is getting pretty damn low. At this point I knew there was no way in the world I was going to make it to the end....As if I couldn't have figured that out at round 40. I keep knitting. I made it through round 58 before I had to stop. So now it's sitting there pretty but unfinished.
Now before you all go hitting me over the head with comments of "always buy extra yarn for a project" let me share a little more info with you. The pattern has 98 rounds and then the yarn used in the edging. I was knitting to gauge.....surprise surprise.....I know I was.
So why did Trish run out of yarn way before the end of the pattern? Trish has pondered this question long and hard and has come to one answer....."The yarn on the 2 hanks were short way to many yards". No one out in blogland has been complaining about this pattern and yarn shortages so I'm figuring the yarn didn't have the stated 440 yards, not even close.
I remember when I wound them I thought to myself that the hanks were kinda small but I chalked it up to the fact that they are lace weight. This is the first time I've bought lace weight yarn. OK, OK I'm a yarn idiot. I'm learning though. :~)
I've emailed Knit Picks to inquire about this. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with their yarn? I'll have to let you all know what I find out from them.

Labels: , ,



No comments:

Post a Comment