May 21, 2007

Mom's Shawl

Warning:  This is a very picture intense post.



Now that the shawl is in my mom's hands where it will be loved and treated wonderfully.  The shawl is now found it's one true home.  :~)

I knit this using Knit Picks Gossamer lace weight yarn and the Janet Lace shawl pattern from Knit Picks.  It's knit double stranded using lace weight yarn, in all actuality you could probably bump it up to a single strand of finger weight yarn.  The pattern called for 2 hanks.....which is wrong.  After I ran out of yarn Knit Picks said that the pattern was under review for corrections and that it should be 4 hanks of lace weight.  Well let me tell ya....I needed more.  I used about 35grams of the 100 gram ball I had wound to finish up the shawl.  I made it easy and pre-wound both strands of lace into one ball.  It took some extra time but worked out great.  :~)
I'd say all total if you are going to knit this pattern using lace weight yarn I would buy 5-6, 440 yard hanks.  You could get away with 5 hanks by winding the 5th into a ball and knitting from the inside and outside of the ball.



First up, the first ball wound up.  Some of you may remember seeing this yarn from a previous post.    :~)

Dsc02155

Next, I got this shot because I had to rip back to my lifeline so I figured I might as well snap a progress shot. 

Dsc02494




The Pink Blobbed Jellyfish Shawl.  There's just no way to make it pretty but have to throw in this shot.  :~)



Dsc02419





The Shawl is now done and needs to be blocked.  Doesn't the pink go well with the plaid couch.  :~)





Dsc02986


Blocked out on my bed, which is a queen size so the shawl is a pretty decent size.  All 50 million pins.  I've got to get some lace blocking wires and a bigger house.  :~)  Maybe even get some of those foam mats that lock together.  This is the nicest you'll ever see my bed.....normally it's left unmade.  Shock, gasp!



Dsc03000


Full view of the shawl and the best shot of it's actual color.  It's a tad washed out.  I love how the shawl covers up my big butt.  :~)  Must make more shawls.

Dsc03008


The obligatory close up shot of the pattern...you can thank Shawn for this one.  It was his idea.  :~)





Dsc03009







All in all this was a easy shawl to knit, well it was after I learned that I needed to use a lifeline and not walk on the wild side.  :~)





8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful shawl! I'll bet your mom is just thrilled. You did a great job. Congratulations on such excellent work. Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Lifelines are your friend when you work on lace. Did you like working with the Gossamer? I thought it was really soft and a great value for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! And wow - that ate a lot of yarn! Well worth it, though - it's gorgeous. I want to make a shawl just so I can watch the magic of blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! And yes, that is the only word you can use to describe such a beautiful shawl. You did a wonderful job. I actually sneaked a peek earlier at your flickr account and that was great encouragement to me to work on my Candle Flame Shawl from Knit Picks. Now I definitely want to take it on our vacation and work on it. I am sure that your mom just loved it. Once again, a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks awesome! you did a really really great job!
    50million pins, heh. I did that with my Pi shawl, but blocked in on the carpet in the basement and then locked the door!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That shawl is so awesomely stunning, I can barely comprehend it. Phenomenal! (Hopefully I spelled that right :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to finish my project, doing the Janet Lace Shawl. But I'm stuck understand where I do the 3single crochets, every how many stitches.
    Love your shawl, looks great.

    ReplyDelete